This week I had my first ever experience of harvesting ginger! It was so neat to see ginger growing and to also see how much ginger grows from just a bit of parent plant. First we dumped out the pots that the ginger was growing in into a plastic tub. Next, we carefully removed the soil to reveal the ginger! I was so surprised by the sheer amount of ginger we uncovered, and it also smelled so delicious!
Throughout the week, I also spent time harvesting various things including yard long beans, cucumbers, arugula and eggplants. We harvested three varieties of eggplants, which included one that looked kinda like a cucumber. Growing your own crops means that you can grow all sorts of varieties of plants that you normally do not see in the grocery store and lets you experiment with those varieties. I also helped out with bundling some of the radishes that were harvested. We had a couple left over, so I got to try one of them. The radishes were pretty spicy, but they were really delicious. This is a really exciting time on the farm because so many things are ready to be harvested!
It is week three of the hydroponic cucumbers growing. This week we replaced the water and nutrient solution in the buckets. I started off by washing out 8 additional buckets and then I filled them up with water and we added nutrient solution to each bucket. Next, we transferred the plants from one bucket to the other. The cucumbers are starting to get really big! I am amazed by how fast they are growing, and fingers crossed they will produce a lot of cucumbers. The roots have just continued to get bigger and bigger. It is so weird to be able to see the roots of the plant, since they are usually nicely hidden underground. After we transferred the plants we took the old buckets of water and nutrient solution out of the greenhouse and transported them in order to dump them out. I think I ended up with most of the water on me by the end, but they were all successfully dumped out eventually.
In other news, Nepeta has continued to warm up to me and now she does not always feel the need to dart full speed ahead away from me whenever I am at the farm. This week, she actually showed me some of her yoga skills and I thought she just looked too cute not to share.
To finish off the week, I worked with a couple of volunteers from NDA (Nutrition and Dietetic Association). We worked to thin out the beets and then we went back over and mulched them. They are looking really good now, and hopefully the mulch will keep some of the weeds at bay and the beets will be able to get big and tasty. The volunteers were a lot of fun to work with and did a great job out at the farm! I totally forgot to take a before and after picture, but just imagine a fresh, newly mulched bed that has just been thinned out. Until next week!