The farm is looking great and there are so many things that are ready to be harvested, and still many things to be planted. The hydroponic cucumbers seem to be doing much better this week, however I have been checking the pH of the buckets each time I am out at the farm. We also changed out the nutrients solution again this week. The plants are starting to get a lot of flowers, so we switched the amount of the different liquids that we added. We used the solutions called Flora Bloom and Flora Micro, along with some Cal-Mag.
At the beginning of this week, the pH was extremely low in the buckets. It was the lowest I have ever seen it, and to be honest I am not really sure why it was so low. Michael thought that maybe the greenhouse leaked while we were getting all of the rain, and the rainwater got into the buckets causing the really low pH.
The process of changing out the nutrient solutions is relatively straight forward, but does take a bit of time. I once again started off my rinsing out the extra buckets, and then I filled them up with water. I utilized a beaker to add in the nutrient solutions and then we transferred the lids over. We let them circulate for a bit, and then we went back later to check the pH. The pH was low in all of the buckets again, so we also added some pH raising liquid to the buckets. I will continue to check them this week and monitor how they are looking. They are getting very big though, hopefully they might start producing some cucumbers too.
It rained at the beginning of the week, so on Wednesday we spent time doing tasks that didn't require us to be plodding through the muddy fields. First, we spent some time going through and organizing all of the seeds we have at the Howdy Farm. We sorted them into groups that were similar. For instance, we had a pile of tomato seeds, squash seeds, etc. There are so many seed options out there! It must be really hard to decide which variety to buy and especially which variety to plant.
Next, we spent some time cleaning up the farm! We weeded the walkways throughout the farm and we even cleaned up the entryway. The entryway was much overdo for a good clean-up and it looks so much better now!
On Thursday and Friday, we moved to working on the beds in the field. We cleaned up and weeded the melon bed and put down some new soil. The melon plants have stopped producing and there was also some powdery mildew on the plants. Since the powdery mildew was there, we made sure to take the plants we pulled out away from the field and threw them away (as opposed to composting them). Luckily, we had a lot of help in the form of volunteers to tackle this task. They were such a huge help. After we finished cleaning up the bed, we planted some romaine and butter crunch lettuce in that field. The week also consisted of some more weeding, which I am sure comes as no surprise. The plants love the rain, but so do the weeds, so they are also growing really well after our rain at the beginning of the week.
I am looking forward to some cooler weather towards the middle of next week, and seeing what all we can accomplish on the farm. I thought I would leave you with this photo of Nepeta. She is doing a wonderful job of promoting the farm and I think she might have ambitions of becoming a model! It has been another fantastic week on the farm! Until next week!