We've taken a break on the painting we are doing to keep the farm in good shape and prepare it for the fall. There were a lot of beds that needed to be cleaned out and we then put compost on some that did not have to desired soil that we needed. We weeded a lot as well, and put mulch in the freshly painted beds that have flowers growing in them from the seeds we saved from past plants. I checked up on some cuttings that I did a few weeks before, to see if they had rooted and to transplant them it they had. Only about half had rooted, the other half was a mix of plants that had died and walnut root and some that might soon, so I left those in the smaller pots and returned them to the greenhouse to see if they would hopefully take root.
We've moved further in our quest to add color to the farm. The only plant bed that we have left to finish is the biggest one with the benches on it. This one is proving to be difficult with all the cracks and spaces between the bars of the benches, but we'll push through it!
We're almost done with the painting we're doing around the farm. The colors we are using are maroon and a cream, which look great together! I'm so excited to see it all finished, plus it will be nice to not be covered in paint anymore when I leave. We also have some blackened peas that are ready for harvesting! I've never had a blackened pea before, but I hear they're delicious, so maybe I will soon.
I spent the week continuing to clean up the farm, trimming back dead parts of the blackberry bushes that had already flowered and produced fruit so that it would come back healthy and ready to go for the next year. I also went around ripping out weeds in the beds, and I cut off all of the flowers that the basil plants started to have, and trimmed their height down as well. We sanded down a bed or two also, to prepare them to be painted with the primer, which we did after if was all sanded and the nails and staples were hammered down. After we primed the wood, we painted it a maroon color, and made future plans to continue painting the next week to add more color to the farm.
This week we continued to clean up the beds around the farm, and we also set up new irrigation tubes in the back fields so the plants would get a proper amount of water without the rain. We spent Friday harvesting all of the produce that was ready and mature enough to take off the plant. We ended up with a whole bunch of different kinds of peppers, some cucumbers and a lot of Eggplant!
Second week at the farm. We continued to clean up the weeds, and thin out over grown beds. Specifically the front bed. The catnip plants were completely covering the smaller flowers and plants, so I cut some of them away as well as trimming them down to be shorter and took the flowers off so we wouldn't have to worry about them creating more plants. Also, the mint plants had grown past their given area, so I had to trim those down and remove some of them.
We also put our focus on the two beds on either side of the walkway leading into the farm, getting all the weeds out, and removing all the unwanted plants. There were a bunch of lily bulbs that needed to be taken out and put in a pot to preserve them for replanting next fall, so I searched the beds and found way more than I expected to. But I look forward to seeing them bloom next time they're planted.
First week at the farm as an intern! I've found that I really enjoy starting my day working outside, even in the heat. Yes, I hate the heat, but being productive and working with plants keeps my mind off being hot and dirty. I like waking up sore and tan the next day, although I really hope I can fix the farmers tan issue...
We've spent the week mainly cleaning up the farm, cleaning different beds out and preparing them for new plants, weeding everywhere and making the farm look welcoming. We also learned that we will be doing a landscape design project! I'm really excited to work on it, its kind of like an art project...but with plants, so I'm looking forward to it.